Banque Populaire V – Spindrift 2 131'
We were asked to design a boat to conquer oceans and set records – which she duly did. She holds records for:
• North Atlantic (New York to Lizard Point) – 3d 15h 25m
• 24 hour distance – 908.2nm, av. speed – 37.8knots
• Trans Med (Marseille – Carthage) – 14hr 20m
• Around British Isles – 3d 3h 49m
• Fastnet Race – 1d 8h 48m
• Jules Verne Trophy (fastest circumnavigation) – 45d 13h 42m
The biggest racing multi-hull ever built, the design challenge was to optimise her for all seas and conditions with a full crew, making her fast, manageable and safe. The boat has a canting mast, dagger boards with trim-tabs and high-powered foils.
She is now renamed Spindrift and is hoping to break more records.